With all of the HCM providers out there, it can be difficult to determine which is best for your business management needs. There are large companies with dedicated software platforms that you can use to manage your business needs, such as ADP.
There are HCM systems that you can use, consisting primarily of software, like Rippling. There are also HCM companies that use HCM software combined with their own customer service and support.
PaydayHCM falls in the latter category. We use one of the best HCM platforms, iSolved, combined with live experts. We have developed this system over the past 30+ years in response to evolving business needs.
Larger providers, although they had great software, were lacking in customer service. Small businesses were trying to run HCM software or other programs on their own and were getting buried by the workload. So we combined powerful HCM software with a human touch to simplify our clients’ lives.
Whether you choose a local or national HCM provider is based on your business needs. We created this article to give you a clear comparison of the local and national HCM companies. You can use this information and compare it to your needs to find out which option is best for you.
THE BASICS OF NATIONAL HCM PROVIDERS
ADP (Automatic Data Processing)
- Founded in 1949 and began as a payroll provider. Over the years, they’ve become a worldwide provider of HCM solutions.
- Serves businesses of all sizes, from small businesses with one employee to large corporations with 1000+ employees.
- Their size and resources are part of their strength.
Reviews: Their weakness is their customer service. Because it is such a large company, its customer service is a department that you call, rather than a dedicated single representative.
Customer service Options: Wait times for service can be lengthy due to the volume of calls they receive.
The Bottom Line: Their pricing is $79 per month, plus $4 per employee for a small business.
- Founded in 1971 with more than 700,000 customers in the US and Europe.
- One in twelve US private sector employees gets paid through Paychex.
- They use a proprietary software system known as Paychex Flex.
Best for: Small to medium-sized businesses.
Reviews: They have received high performance, implementation, and scalability scores on TrustRadius.
Customer Service Options: Their customer service is a similar model to ADP with a help page and call-in option.
The Bottom Line: The most basic option for a small business will cost $39 a month, plus $5 per employee.
- Founded in 2005 by former PeopleSoft executives.
- Incorporates HCM services as well as ERP (enterprise resource planning).
- Cloud-based system
Best for: Medium to large-sized businesses because of their many capabilities.
Reviews: Those same capabilities are the reason it will probably be overwhelming for a small business and unnecessary. It’s especially good for companies with many locations.
Customer Service Options: Online-based customer service system with community help or direct help options.
The Bottom Line: Pricing is based on a custom quote system so there is not much information readily available but typical price per employee, per month is $99.
- Founded in 2016 by Parker Conrad, former CEO of Zenefits.
- They offer comprehensive HCM services and are great for medium-sized businesses.
- Rippling offers mobile-friendly HCM solutions that are customizable and can be set up to address the specific needs of your business.
Best for: Medium to Large businesses. Because Rippling has so many features and capabilities, they are not recommended for small businesses or businesses that only need a single functionality.
Reviews: Rippling's strength can also be a weakness though. Because their solutions are so customizable, it can be difficult to navigate if you are unsure of what exactly you need or are not familiar with these types of systems.
Customer Service Options: They offer customer support via chat for administrators but no direct support for employees.
The Bottom Line: Their pricing is also somewhat difficult to determine. They charge $8 per employee, plus a base fee. To determine the base fee for your business you have to speak with a representative.
THE BASICS OF LOCAL HCM PROVIDERS
The Payroll Company
- Founded in 2005 by Nestor Romero, CPA.
- “The Payroll Company utilizes state-of-the-art technology that accurately and efficiently integrates payroll and human resource services via a secure automated solution.”
- Utilizes iSolved software.
Best for: Businesses with 2 - 550 employees.
Reviews: “Words cannot express how much headache and heart ache is saved by hiring the payroll company. If you are a small business owner struggling with weekly payroll, taxes or accounting here is your solution.”
Customer Service Options: Personally assigned payroll team.
The Bottom Line: No pricing information is available online at this time, so we recommend contacting them directly to find more information about pricing and services.
- Founded in 1985 by Andrew Siegel.
- Specialize in offering HCM services that simplify business, combined with personalized customer service by dedicated representatives.
- Utilizes iSolved software
Best for: Small and medium-sized businesses.
Reviews: “Payday HCM is the best payroll service that I have ever worked with. Unlike other payroll services, I truly believe that their support team cares about each and every client that they represent. We are a very small company, but you would think we are one of their top 10 with the response time and customer service that we receive.”
Customer Service Options: Dedicated customer service representative backed by a support team.
The Bottom Line: A small business looking to utilize Payday’s services can expect to pay an average of $1200 per year.
CHOOSING AN HCM PROVIDER BEGINS WITH UNDERSTANDING YOUR OWN NEEDS
We tell potential clients that the most important first step is determining your business needs. You can determine the HCM provider you choose by the size of your business, which services you need, how much customer support you need, and your budget.
Here are some questions to ask yourself before choosing an HCM provider:
- What’s my primary need, payroll, HR, onboarding, or all of the above?
- What’s my budget?
- How tech-savvy is my team?
- Do I want a local solution or a national provider?
- How much customer support will we need?
As always, PaydayHCM is ready and able to assist you with any questions you may have. If you are looking for an HCM solution and prefer simplicity along with a human touch, we would love to hear from you.
Learn how you can save your own precious time by simplifying your payroll process. It may surprise you how much easier it can be.